Saturday, December 23, 2006

Searching for lower airfares

For over a year, I have been using Kayak to search for airfares online. It is a really great tool, and you will never need to visit multiple travel sites (travelocity, orbitz, expedia, etc.). It is a one-stop place which will actually go and visit all of these and lots of other sites, and give you the lowest fares out of all of these. I found out about this site while I was watching CNN (they have a news section related to airfares).
Kayak has a really simple interface, and is super-easy to use. I love the way how you can use a slider to change your departure and arrival time ranges. Another nice feature is how they completion-match (guess) your airport while you are typing (Take a hint Orbitz :-)).
A friend of mine told me about another website which is based on the same concept: Sidestep. Sidestep and Kayak are pretty similar. Historically, they have given me the same results. I like Kayak because it has a slider for times, while Sidestep has a slider for price instead. Kayak also lets you see the flight details in a popup (that javascript type in-line popup), while in Sidestep, you have to click on a link to see the details. Then you need to go back to look at other options. Which one you end up using, in my opinion, depends on your personal preference. My friend still likes Sidestep better, and I still prefer Kayak.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

Have you tried Trabber? is a search engine that retrieve content directly from travel web sites to get the best air fares.

Here is the address: www.trabber.com

Ciao.

gabhroo said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I did not know about Trabber. Just tested it, but I don't like the results. For the route that I tested, it is giving me $452, while Kayak and Sidestep are giving me $346. Not good.
The UI is not good as compared to the other two sites either. However, that could be a matter of personal preference.
Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Since it is in beta, maybe it will improve overtime.