Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ubuntu: Annoying password prompt to unlock default keyring

I have my desktops and laptops (running Ubuntu) set to timed auto-logins. However, as soon as I did it, I found that soon after logging me in, Ubuntu would ask me for the password to unlock the default keyring. For laptops, it would say network-manager wants the key. For desktops, it would say evolution (I have google calendar synced to evolution).
I tried a lot of things after reading Ubuntu forums, but the only thing that worked finally was to delete the unlock password:
  1. Choose Applications --> Accessories --> Passwords and Encryption Keys.
  2. In the application, chose Edit --> Preferences
  3. Highlight the 'login' text in the main box, and choose 'Change Unlock Password'.
  4. Enter your normal login password for current password. Leave the new password fields blank.
  5. Click 'Change'. Click 'Accept' on the message box saying that having no passwords is insecure.

No comments: